Friday, November 2, 2012

Monster Gangnam Style!


Halloween has come and gone.  I have only eaten ONE of my children's candies.  I know. I'm a saint!

Truthfully, they don't actually have a lot of candy.  Not even enough to fill a Ziploc Freezer bag full. They are totally okay with this. 

I am always proud of them.  They do a lot of things to make me proud, but here is the latest.

They gave up trick or treating, so that they could attend a fundraiser for a baby that they haven't even met.

Seriously.  I honestly don't know if I would have done that at their age.

The karate dojo they attend, Benoit's Martial Arts, hosted a Haunted Dojo Fundraiser, with the proceeds going our Shihan's nephew, Kaden, who was born with a very rare condition.  In fact, it is so rare, that our province's health plan doesn't cover the necessary physiotherapy he requires.  You can learn more about that by visiting Kaden's webpage

When the kids mentioned they would like to go, I told them it meant that they wouldn't be trick or treating.  The dojo is about a 30 minute drive for us, so I really wasn't willing to drive for an hour (there and back), so that they could trick or treat.  It also meant that there would be no one at our house to hand out treats.  We get over 200 kids each year.

They decided that going to the fundraiser was more inportant, so that's what we did.

We had SO. MUCH. FUN.

Many people at the dojo put in a lot of work to make a Haunted House.  They determined levels of scariness (levels 1 - 5), and let the kids pick which levels they would do.

Zachary made it all the way to Level 5, Corbett stopped at Level 3.  And let me tell you...it was fantastic.  (I did Level 5.  I was able to restrain myself from punching or kicking any of the scary volunteers)

The next day, we found that the boys each won Best Costume award.  Zachary for coolest costume, and Corbett for cutest costume.




It was a great event, and most importantly, it supported a great cause.  If you wish to offer financial support to help Kaden get the therapy he needs, please feel free to donate.

Jessica

No comments: