Monday, November 19, 2012

Lazy mornings and science fun!

Today I spent the whole day with my children and we didn't have to do anything. A school PD day meant the kids had no school, so I took the day off. (Thanks to all my bosses!) Nothing scheduled, nowhere we had to rush to.
 
AND MAN...DID WE HAVE FUN!

This is a rarity.  The not having to do anything part.  We frequently have fun.  Its a full on festival of shits and giggles here.  But we also run a pretty tight ship.

Between my running addiction hobby, the kids' karate lessons, Jordan's karate, my 3 jobs, my Community Action Network committments and Jordan working shift work, if we didn't run a tight ship, things would fall apart. Our schedule is the duct tape that keeps our family going!

First on the agenda was a lazy morning.  No alarms, we all woke up naturally. For me, of course, this was only 10 minutes later than I normally wake up. I turned on Canada AM and watched TV.  FROM BED!   Not too long after, the pitter patter of Corbett's feet could be heard and suddenly I had a little guy to snuggle with.

About an hour later, we decided to go downstairs for breakfast, while Zachary was still sound asleep.  About ten minutes later, Zack joined us. Lazy mornings are the best. THE BEST!

Finally, we packed up and headed out to our local Science centre, Science North, to make good use of our family membership.  Seriously, one of the best purchases EVER!

We spent a good four hours there, doing everything from petting tarantulas, visiting the butterflies, trying on moose antlers, working on our sprint starts, estimating how tall we will be when we grow up (apparently I'm done), and polishing rocks.  There was so much more we did, and so much we didn't get a chance to do!  That's the best part of the family membership.  We can go back anytime we want, so we don't have to feel as though we have missed anything.  SO. MUCH. FUN.

It really was such a great day, and something I rarely get to do--spending time, just me and the kids doing FUN stuff. Did I mention how much fun we had?

I have to make a point of doing this more often.  Anyone want to pay me to stay home?  Anyone? 

 Corbett showing off his name spelled in close ups of the patterns from butterfly wings (I think).  I am not sure why he looks so possessed/excited.
 
 Zachary showing off his name!
 
 Corbett the Moose Loves to Rock.
Apparently this Moose also begs.
 
 Zachary sports some impressive antlers. 
These things are HEAVY!
 
 Corbett's polished stone. This was a very cool workshop. Also, very messy!
The perfect boy activity.  Powertools, fast moving sanding wheels and mess.
 
 Zachary polished his all on his own, without help.
Kids 7 and under needed adult supervision, so I helped Corbett, but Z-man did great on his own.
 
 When we were done, we went over to the microscope and checked out the creations!
This is Corbett's.
 
Zachary's masterpiece.

No comments: